Monday, August 10, 2020
Home From the Editor To the Editor: Racist Rhetoric at Home

To the Editor: Racist Rhetoric at Home

stop-racism

As we have seen on the news, there appears to be a spike in “hate speech” since the election. This letter comes to us from an African American resident of Mamaroneck, and has been verified.-editor

To the Editor:

I am terribly disheartened.  I was extremely disappointed at the outcome of this election.  I am trying to make the best of this situation and accept it with grace. But an incident over the weekend in Manor Park has shocked us.

My teenaged daughter and I were taking a walk in Larchmont Manor Park last Friday, on what turned out to be a beautiful Veterans Day. We even ran into a friend and chatted. As we walked down the path overlooking the serene blue water, we approached a bench with three white boys in their mid teens speaking to each other inaudibly.

As soon as they saw us, they started chanting loudly “TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP” repeatedly, followed by what sounded like a racial slur. My daughter grabbed onto me tightly as we passed them and started weeping. I stopped as soon as heard the slur, turned to them and said “did you just say N$&/#@?” To which one replied and said “no I said trigger!” And laughed. I said “you know what- bring it – you want to start some mess say that in my face!” To which they got up and walked in the other direction.

I didn’t go there to fight, but I needed to show her that if they had the right to instigate that I had the right to stand up to their racist rhetoric.

Anonymous
Mamaroneck

sponsored by

Speak Out Against Bigotry & Hatred
Speak Out Against Bigotry & Hatred
3 years ago

It is terrible that you and your daughter had to experience this. Please know that I and others in our community will stand up against racism, anti-semitism, and discrimination & bigotry of any kind. Hateful acts will not be tolerated here. I am glad you were able to speak up on the spot. Thank you for letting the community know that this happened.

Vivian
Vivian
3 years ago

No bigots should be allowed in our town. I am so sorry that you had to experience bigotted remarks.
It is a terrible sign of the present times.

JTR
JTR
3 years ago

I am so sorry that you and your daughter had to endure this hurt at the hands of these fools. Parents: hate is taught. If your children disrespect people, the blame should be laid at your feet. Know what your kids are saying and doing. I’ve seen what some kids put out there on FB, Snapchat, etc. Also, good for you for confronting them. They probably felt like tough guys … until you showed them how small they really were…

Laura Levine
Laura Levine
3 years ago

I too want to express my sorrow for what happened to you in Manor Park. This election has brought out some people’s racist and misogynistic beliefs out into the open. This behavior and language is never acceptable and threatens all of us. We all have to speak out against this behavior and language whenever we are confronted with it. Allowing it to pass unchallenged only compounds the problem.

Joan Bogin
Joan Bogin
3 years ago

I am so sorry this happened to you and your daughter. I’m happy to hear you stood up to them–as must we all when we see this kind of behavior.

Christine
Christine
3 years ago

I wish I was there. Would have taken their picture and posted all over social media. These people have always been here…we can just “see” them now. And I say. Let’s all see them and hold them accountable. I also won’t be silent in the face of such hatred. Silence is unacceptable.

Nora Morrow
3 years ago

I am so deeply sorry that happened. They should add to the sign at the entrance,”No Bigots.”
As a Larchmont resident who loves the beauty of Manor Park, I am so sorry to hear that this ugliness happened there.

Sonia solorzano
Sonia solorzano
3 years ago

I am so sorry you and your daughter had to experience this.

Kelly Wenstrup
Kelly Wenstrup
3 years ago

Thank you for publishing this letter. Like this experience, I heard of a man (also with children) on Mamaroneck Avenue who was told to “Go back where you come from.” The Trump election has unleashed hatred and legitimized it. We must stand together to defeat it. It may cost me friends, but I cannot be silent in the face of slurs. When I hear hatred on the street, I will confront it. I’ll say “That’s not OK,” to call out the speaker and let the recipient know he’s not alone. Our community will not become a hate-filled place in which people are afraid if we stand up together.

Rachel
Rachel
3 years ago

Parents, is it okay if your children talk this way? Do you talk this way at home? Do you call strangers racial slurs as they walk past you? If so, what feels good about hurting people who are minding their own business?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x