Residents of a Mamaroneck apartment building say they have lived without electricity, gas, hot water and a laundry room where one tenant says she found human feces.
The building, Soundview Apartments, at 151 Fenimore Road, is managed by Garden Homes Management. Two bedroom apartments rent for about $1800 a month.
“Hot water has been lacking since October 2013, with at times 5 days in a row showering with cold water, even in fall and winter,” said one tenant, who asked not to be identified. “We were told the boiler was being fixed, but it never was.”
Tenants complain of low voltage in apartments, saying more than one appliance at a time cannot be used.
Also of concern is a “gas outage since March, making it impossible to cook.”
On June 21, another tenant says she found human feces in a washing machine.
“With all what we have endured recently, this is horrific,” she said. ” I am literally traumatized by situation and I cannot use this laundry room anymore in fear of having to face another disgusting episode.”
Garden Homes did not respond to repeated requests for more information. According to their Web site, Garden Homes Management Corporation is a real estate investment, management and development company located in Stamford, Connecticut. The Web site says, “Properties include rental apartments throughout Connecticut and Westchester County, NY, and manufactured housing communities throughout Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Southern Vermont and Southern New Hampshire. We also own and operate neighborhood shopping centers, movie theaters and laundromats in Connecticut and Metro New York.”
Residents of 151 Fenimore say they have written to the Mayor and the Village Buildings Dept.
It is now 2022 and the conditions still have not been improved. The building is infested with mice and management does not answer any emails and never responses to phone calls. The super is a waste of time and just patches up the numerous holes through the complex, but the mice are still roaming the building. Horrific living conditions.
This is still accurate and the case. The building is horribly managed and the landlord has no concern for its tenants. Can’t even get the super to do legitimate work. Please be advised: stay away and find a rental somewhere else.
The gas being out was due to a building problem. They came and checked every apartment to see which specifically had leaks. They did not start these checks for quite some time and were in no rush to do so. There was no tent reduction, that is a lie so I’m guessing you are from the management company posting as a tenant. I can’t speak to the feces in the laundry room but I do know the elevator is a safety hazard, the water is dirty and we have old, faulty pipes, the water is shut down to the entire building way too often and always without notice. Horrible conditions in any case and worse considering the rent we pay. These are just a few of the outstanding issues and it has gotten worse with the new management company.
This place is now like a dorm for 20s and early 30s. Loud music and tv until wee hours of the morning. Hanging out at 3am in front of building laughing and carrying on after the bars. Looks like its the largest age percentage in building. They hog up washers on weekends and leave it a mess.
Noticed certain apartments looking as if 4 or 5 adults living in them. Not sure management knows or even cares. Hey its their water bill….
Oh and have fun parking……if you like the cold weather than its fun to walk 3 or 4 blocks to carry your stuff in the freezing cold. Guess thats what happens with roomies etc. More cars.
There is an apartment with literally 6 or 7 adults living in it that I can tell. Not 20 some things.
Its a mix but the kids stand out most because they are the loudest/ rudest.
Its too bad. With proper marketing this could be an awesome place.
Seriously? By the time this article was written, the gas was back on. The reason there was no gas was damage to the gas lines under the street. Would the residents prefer that the building blow up instead? The company gave a rent reduction for when the gas was off to the building.
And human feces in the laundry room? How is that the management company’s problem? Sounds like a tenant was irresponsible. Blame the tenant.