You may have noticed all the “No Parking” signs on Palmer and Chatsworth Avenues.
Larchmont’s downtown is currently being fixed up as part of the Streetscape project.
Surely you remember Streetscape, the plan to beautify the Larchmont Palmer shopping district that went terribly wrong- a contractor in default, a playground destroyed and a streetscape that looked, well, pretty treeless and barren.
An embattled Mayor wrote in theLoop about what went wrong, saying, “It is tempting to say you have to break an egg to get an omelette.”
Now, according to the Larchmont Chamber of Commerce, Village officials have met with the Federal Department of Transportation and the new contractor for the Streetscape and set July 7 as the date for construction on the NEW Streetscape to begin.
This time, The contractor’s staging area will be at a Town of Mamaroneck site near Madison and 5th. It will not be at Pine Brook Park.
- The Palmer Ave Streetscape includes new sidewalks, installation of over 50 old-fashioned style light posts to provide much needed pedestrian lighting, and new trash and recycling receptacles.
- The Streetscape is planned in 8 phases, each requiring 1 – 2 weeks construction time, as follows:
- West side of Palmer from Depot Way West (by E.B. Barrett) around by Pink on Palmer to the north side of Chatsworth Ave as far as the Railroad Bridge
- East side of Palmer from Franklin Avenue (apartments) around the Chase Branch onto the north side of Chatsworth as far as Franklin Avenue (Chase parking lot).
- South side of Chatsworth from North Ave (Nicky’s Pizza) to Vanderbilt (Harry’s Burritos)
- West side of Palmer from Chatsworth Ave (Chase Private Banking) to East Ave (Verizon Store)
- East side of Palmer from Chatsworth (Corner Store) around RuLi Artisans and Wraps onto Larchmont Avenue to the parking lot entrance.
- South side of Larchmont Ave around the Wells Fargo Bank ending at Sothebys
- West side of Palmer from East Ave (The Ice Cream Parlour) to West Ave (Palmers Crossing)
- West side of Palmer from West Ave (Hunan Larchmont) past the movie theater to PDQ Mail Plus.
The Chamber says construction will take place primarily between 7am and 3:30pm weekdays. The Village will be sending letters to affected merchants and landlords that may contain additional information.