Westchester County wants you to know about new laws, recalls and ways to save money.
- New consumer protections against foreclosure signed into law.
- Read about the recall to repair all Roman and roll-up blinds due to the risk of strangulation to young children.
- Parents and caregivers are urged to immediately stop using the recalled drop-side cribs.
- New booster seat law took effect Nov. 24.
- Find out how low-income consumers can save money on residential telephone service.
- The first phase of new consumer protections under the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 (“CARD”) took effect on Aug. 20, 2009.
- Results of our latest market basket survey.
- County restricts sale and use of phosphorous fertilizer.
- Phosphorous fertilizer law has specific requirements for landscapers and persons and businesses which sell fertilizer.
- Don’t overpay for certified copy of deed.
- Our ATM Fee Survey shows that bank fees vary and the surcharge imposed on non-customers can be high.
- Swine Flu: Protect yourself from online scams.
- Find the best price for home heating oil or gas. Here are tips on how to save fuel.
- Home improvement contractors are #1 on our “Top 10 List” of consumer complaints. We continue to crack down on unlicensed contractors, enforcing a law that allows the county police to seize the assets of these contractors. Do your homework before you hire a home improvement contractor. Find out if the contractor is licensed and avoid hiring renegade renovators.
- File a complaint online or by mail in English or Spanish if you have a problem.
- Leaf blower law took effect Jan. 1, 2009. Also, first-time home improvement applicant must now pass a written exam prior to submitting a license application.
- Vea información en español.
Leaf blower law! Ha! This summer I drove by the L’mont Police Dept and there was a landscape crew blowing bits of who knows what off the property…it was even a really hot day, so there may have been an ozone situation. Gotta love a law with teeth like that…