Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Home Open Mike Open Mic: Loss of Historic Stone Walls at Schools

Open Mic: Loss of Historic Stone Walls at Schools

Larchmont–During the summer, improvements were planned for Murray Avenue School (built in 1922 according to the Larchmont Historical Society) and Chatsworth Avenue School (est. in 1902, according to Wikipedia)  in Larchmont, to mixed results:

murray wall
New main entrance, Murray Ave. School

murray wall

To the Editor:

I’ve been most upset to see our beautiful stone walls at our schools removed and replaced by cookie cutter, pre-made concrete blocks. What a downgrade! Amazing what they can hide in the budget.

Thanks for reporting,

Pam Washington
murray wall

chatswall
Chatsworth Ave. School from Addison Ave.

sponsored by

Andrew Francella MD
Andrew Francella MD
5 years ago

Construction has been going on at the large staircase of Murray Ave School during the dog days of August. Will be blessed with more industrial concrete blocks or will the staircase be restored to its original glory with wrought iron railings to match the building’s design? Not worried about aesthetics or history? Take your pick between the present Penn Station or Grand Central Station. Which will be a lasting legacy for future generations and still be utilized in the modern world? Grand Central has become the core to a very profitable business center with higher end retailers and restaurants. Penn station is a drab hallway leading to Long Island and New Jersey.

Larchmont and Mamaroneck has a wonderful school system, but I would hope that is not the only reason one would choose to live in this historic community on Long Island Sound. If you just erase or destroy the past you end up without a sense of place or community.

School is for Learning
School is for Learning
6 years ago

Please get over yourselves. What ever gave you the idea that the Mamaroneck community is willing to to pay for real granite at twice the cost engineered stone just to satisfy your asthetics. I would rather use that money for 5 new teachers.
But hey my kids go to school for for a reason, not to socialize on the wall outside of school.

JB
JB
6 years ago

First of all, the bond issue called for repair of the existing granite walls, not the purchase of new ones. New granite is not the issue.

Second, teachers’ salaries do not come out of a bond issue, which is a special expenditure.

School is for Learning
School is for Learning
6 years ago
Reply to  JB

I know that salaries do not come out of a bond issue. But, I also know that the financing for a bond issue comes out of my property taxes. I also know that instead of paying an additional $500K for granite repair in a bond issue I would rather have more teachers. I also believe that bonding capital projects does not count against the 2% cap, so eventually we will have beautiful buildings with no teachers…and still be paying high property taxes to finance numerous “special expenditures” like this one.
People shouldn’t complain about the property taxes on one hand and say “cut, cut, cut” but then when an issue directly effects them have a change of heart and say “spend, spend spend”.

Eleanor
Eleanor
7 years ago

I agree that it is unsightly and institution like compared to our old wall. On Murray, near the playground there seems to be no fence or wall to protect the kids from falling to a 6 foot drop. This should be addressed. The current wall is flush to the soil. I live across the street, and none of the residents were told about this new construction. When I called the school, they didn’t seem to be forewarned of this construction. Who designed this mess?

JD
JD
7 years ago

The Murray Avenue Walls are awful. The original stone should be put back NOW. I’m serious put them back. These choices were environmentally, aesthetically and financially wrong. How could this happen? Those responsible need to be held responsible.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x