Mamaroneck Mother Indicted for Daughter’s Death in April Incident


Gabriella Boyd

A Grand Jury had indicted the mother of the child in the police-involved domestic incident in Mamaroneck last April.

The Westchester County District Attorney says Cynthia Arce of Mamaroneck was indicted on charges related both to the death of her toddler, Gabriella Boyd, in their Chestnut Ave. home April 28, and to the attack on two Village of Mamaroneck Police Officers.

Home on Chestnut Ave., Mamaroneck where incident occured (photo: twitter)

In the attack on the two police officers she faces the following charges:

  • 2 counts of Attempted Aggravated Murder, class A felonies
  • 2 counts of Attempted Aggravated Assault upon a Police Officer, class C felonies
  • 2 counts of Assault in the Second Degree, class D felonies
sponsored by:

According to the indictment, “On April 28, 2018, Village of Mamaroneck Police responded to 507 Chestnut Ave. following a 911 call from Arce’s mother, reporting that someone was dying. When they arrived, they found 2-year-old Gabriella Boyd unresponsive on her bed.

Officers immediately tried to resuscitate the child. While clearing the house, other officers located Arce in an adjacent bedroom behind a closed door. Arce had both her hands hidden behind her back and refused to comply with repeated police commands to show her hands. Arce then brought both hands from behind her back and above her shoulders revealing two large knives, one in each hand. She charged at the officers, repeatedly slashing at two of them. When Tasers failed to subdue her, a third officer shot Arce, ending the confrontation. Officers continued their efforts to resuscitate the child until paramedics arrived.

Gabriella Boyd was transported to White Plains Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Following an autopsy, the Medical Examiner’s Officer ruled her death to be a homicide. Two Village of Mamaroneck Police Officers were injured as a result of the confrontation.

Arce was taken to Westchester County Medical Center where she was treated for several weeks for her gunshot injuries.Arce was arrested at the hospital, charged, and remanded by a judge to the Westchester County Jail where she has remained since.

At this time, the date of Arce’s arraignment on this indictment is pending.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.