Earth Day has been celebrated since 1970 and there are lots of new ways to do it this year. Here are five suggestions for local activities:
1. Go to one of our gorgeous Westchester County parks for a hike or a picnic. Nearby we have Rye Marshlands Conservancy, Read Wildlife Sanctuary, Glen Island, Tibbetts Brook, and more. Before you go, you can sign up for “Pitch in for Parks” to help maintain the area. Tasks include planting, mulching, litter removal, trail maintenance, vine cutting and more. Contact volunteer coordinator Sara Cavanaugh at (914) 231-4530 or sign up at: Register to Volunteer here. For more information downloadthe 2018 Pitch in for Parks palm card.
2. Make a resolution to shop at a farmer’s market. On Sat. April 21 there will be a ribbon cutting for the Down to Earth Larchmont Farmers’ Market at 122 Myrtle Blvd. from 8:30- 1:00. Westchester area farmer’s markets are listed here. Note that this year’s Earth Day theme is to End Plastic Pollution. What can you do? Use a reusable grocery bag, water bottle, or coffee cup. Want to learn more about the campaign? Check out Earth Day Network here.
3. Attend a Poetry Exhibit Opening Reception on Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:00 pm at Rye Marshlands Conservancy.
4. Check out the Earth Art Club at Rye Nature Center on Saturday, April 21 1:00 pm. A naturalist will lead a short hike to collect a few natural artifacts including forsythia and daffodil flowers. The naturalist will help guide young artists to create a piece of natural art. Suggested for ages 4 and up. $5/person members, $8/person non-members.
5. At Sheldrake Environmental Center in Larchmont the whole family can celebrate the Earth on Sunday, April 22 from 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm. Activities are targeted to children, ages 2- 10 and will provide hands-on experiences. Participants can rotate through the activities working with naturalists. Activities include: Naturalist-ledsensory walk around the Goodliffe Pond; Eco-crafting; All About Birds with our friends from Audubon. Register here. The cost is $20 per family (up to 4 children).