The 31st Fleet Division of the New York Naval Militia Armory is located on Main Street in New Rochelle. The building was built in 1931.
The New York Naval Militia was first organized in 1889 and Naval reservists and volunteers were called into service during both World Wars and the Korean War, as well as for other emergencies such as the 1892 cholera quarantine at Fire Island. New York State deeded the Armory to the City of New Rochelle with the provision that it remain open for public use.
The Armory is currently threatened with demolition. Under a deal struck in 2008 by the City and Forest City Residential that calls for the Armory to be razed as part of a proposed Echo Bay development plan.
photo by author