As the local Girl Scouts House, this building at 90 Harmon Drive is teeming with energy when filled with groups of girls. The building, however, got off to a far different start in 1926 when it was built as the Larchmont Gardens station of the short-lived New York, Westchester & Boston Railway.
The railway, backed by powerful bigwigs like J.P. Morgan, operated from 1912-1937 to shuttle commuters to and from their homes in the “country.” The original line, which opened in 1912, ran from a terminal in the Bronx at 180th Street, north to White Plains with a short branch to North Avenue in New Rochelle.
The Harmon Drive station was built when the NYW&B created the Port Chester extension to siphon off commuter traffic from the New Haven Railroad, which had a big financial in NYW&B and wanted to cut costs by reducing the number of trains that went into Grand Central. After getting off to a promising start, the NYW&B by early 1930s was fighting major financial woes (the Great Depression and New Haven Railroad going bankrupt didn’t help). The NYW&B officially ceased operating in 1937. Many of the stations were given to local municipalities to as the railroad’s way of paying back taxes.